The holidays are a very special time of year for many families. We are often able to spend time with loved ones, enjoy special foods, and receive and give gifts. However, it can be a stressful time of year for children due to excitement and changes in routine.
Here are some ideas to help enjoy holidays with children!
For Your Child:
- Be kind to yourself.
- Relax: Build some quiet relaxation time into each day of the holiday.
- Stick To Your schedule: Try to get the amount of sleep that you usually need to function. You need your rest to feel your best and care for your child.
- Exercise: If you can stick to your exercise schedule, that is great. Often travel and changes in schedule make it impossible. A quick walk around the block or a dance party with your children will go a long way to getting you some of the emotional benefits of exercise.
- Don’t Compare Yourself to Others: It can be difficult not to compare our children and ourselves to others, especially during the holidays. Remember that people often try really hard to look their best in holiday photos and at family dinners! People often try to only show their best selves. Reflect back on what makes your child awesome and all the special time you had together this past year. That is what matters.
- Reach Out: The holidays can often bring up painful memories of years past. Reach out and talk to someone if you are feeling sad or depressed. You may want to consider talking to a therapist if your feelings are particularly intense, last past the holidays, or interfere with your daily functioning.
During the holidays we are often with our children for a more extended amount of time than the rest of the year. We often have more of an opportunity to observe our child’s behavior and emotional well-being more intensely. If you find that you have concerns about your child, please feel free to contact us at Hope Springs.
9,626 total views, 1 views today