At one time or another, we have all tried something new. It could be a new job, a new task, or a new hobby. But, for some reason, we took a chance and did something differently. Whenever we do something new, there is uncertainty and risk. We may fail. But, even more likely is the possibility that we will learn, grow, and flourish.
For me, this blog is a continually new adventure. A chance to write, a chance to grow, and chance to contribute something meaningful to people. Earlier this month, I purchased, PURCHASED, a new office space. That was a HUGE event in my life. As I pondered these events, it begged the question of how can one succeed at a new undertaking?
- Research tells us that the best way is to just simply do it. What is it that you long to do? Think about what your gut is telling you. And then make a commitment to try it.
- Start slowly. Take one step at a time. The fastest way to end a new goal is to take on too much and overwhelm yourself. Rather, think about a few small steps, try them, and reward your efforts.
- Breathe and relax along the way. If you become anxious or stressed about your new venture, remember that is how you are supposed to feel. You are facing something uncertain. So, relaxing along the way is important. Take deep breaths, relax your muscles, and nurture yourself. Stay mindful of all the joys along the way.
- Use positive self-talk. What you tell yourself changes how you feel about your experience, and ultimately what you do. If you tell yourself, “I don’t know what to do,” you will likely feel afraid, and maybe even give up. Try telling yourself, “I can do this. I can learn.” You will feel more confident and be more likely to persist in your efforts.
- Keep expectations realistic. Remember that no one and nothing is perfect. You aren’t either. You will make mistakes. But mistakes often teach people a lot about themselves and the world around them. Try to see mistakes as an opportunity, and not a failure.
- Have fun. Involve activities and people that you enjoy. Use humor, and find ways to laugh about the process.
- Last, but not least, be proud of yourself. It takes a lot of courage to try something new and to face the unknown.
I wish you the best of luck in your new endeavors!
861 total views, 1 views today